Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Recipe: Amas Veritas

Amas Veritas
Circa: 2014
 
 
 
       For my final Halloween cocktail recipe I thought I would just do something fun! It's a delicious and refreshing recipe that is perfect for All Hallow's Eve bewitching theme but could go great in spring, as well! Since the Voodoo Queen represented the more mysterious side of witchcraft, this cocktail represents the lighter, romantic and feminine, side found in Practical Magic. One of my favorite scenes in the film is when a young Sally Owens conjures up a  true-love spell known as Amas Veritas to protect her from falling in love. I was so inspired that I wanted to create my own magical cocktail.
 
 
 
         I began by researching herbs and ingredients that would not only be delicious but could bring one luck in love. Luckily, all I had to do was turn to my own garden and neighborhood. I adore rosemary and always have it growing in our garden since it is one one of my favorites and I have plenty on hand.  My next inspiration is from my own neighborhood in the form of locally grown honey. 
 
        Together, rosemary  and honey have traditionally been considered to have magical properties. They are both sacred elements to Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty. They symbolize femininity, and an old saying says ,"where rosemary flourishes, the woman rules." Although my husband questions that saying, rosemary is also supposed to only grow in a home garden if a women is present.  And on a more practical level, rosemary's fragrance is said to enhance memory and help retain youth.  Of course, I had to work it into a cocktail.
 
       Honey also has magical qualities of it's own and can be used to sweeten someone's feelings for you. It is believed that if you pour honey into a jar or saucer on top of a piece of paper containing someone's name and then light a candle, that person's relationship with you will grow and possible evolve into love. Honey is also used in spells to bind items together, even friends and couples.
 
 
Due to their magical properties Rosemary and Honey are a perfect combination! While honey will sweeten someone's thoughts of you, rosemary will make you unforgettable. This spellbounding cocktail is designed to do both. It's blend of herbs, sweetness, and citrus make for a delicious and refreshing concoction.
 
     I hope that you had a wonderfully bewitching Halloween this year and remember...

Always,
throw spilled salt over your left shoulder
keep rosemary by your garden gate
plant lavender for luck
and fall in love whenever you can


 



No comments:

Post a Comment