Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Styled Shoot: Princess and the Pea

Princess & the Pea 
Circa: 1969 
Hair, Makeup & Wardrobe Styling: Tiffany of Smokin Hot Makeup 
Styling: Jessica Avery

Well with summer coming to a close I thought I would end with a beautiful summer shoot that I had the pleasure of being a part of a few years ago. In a past life before my job at the museum and my blog I had the amazing opportunity to style several shoots for two of the most talented photographers that I now have the honor of calling friends- Tara Swain of Tara Swain Photography and Shalonda Chaddock of Chubby Cheek Photography. It was an amazing experience working with these two talented women, devoted mothers and wonderful friends. I cherish those opportunities and would love to have the chance to work with them again in the future!

                Today I thought that I would offer my own version of a Flashback Friday and showcase one of my styled shoots. This was shot by Tara Swain as part of her first photography workshop in Paris, Texas. When Tara first approached me to help I was honored but then when she told me the concept I thought it was brilliant and couldn’t be more perfect for my style. Those that know me personally know that I am a hippie at heart and love the 1960’s and 70’s… especially the music! I was raised on Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, the Beatles and my favorite Fleetwood Mac. I can’t express in words my love for Stevie Nicks. Her music, style everything is an inspiration! There is actually a little nod to her in the one of the photographs!!

                For this shoot we took the classic fairytale Princess and the Pea and transported it to 1969! I love the idea of taking something so classic and adding a wonderful and surprising twist. While all of the clothes, props and jewelry that you see are modern they transport you to a time of free spirits, peace and love! For inspiration I turned to one of my favorite books “Hippie” by Barry Miles. I found this book in college and have shared it with all of my favorite hippies at heart. The pictures are gorgeous and capture the essence of an incredible decade in American history! My other source of inspiration was the ultimate concert event… Woodstock. When Tara and I first began discussing this shoot I told her that there was one famous shot from Woodstock we had to recreate. See if you can the find the original below!
While this is a very styled shoot, it can serve as inspiration for your own personal style or home! It’s about finding inspiration from the past and bringing it into your modern life! If you feel you are flower child at heart bring in a few colorful pieces into your home in the form of a pillow with a peace sign, a beautiful bohemian table, vibrant colorful bunting, a framed vintage record and more. The possibilities are absolutely endless. Your home is your sanctuary and therefore rather than focusing on trends that come and go make it a space that reflects your passion and joy!




                I hope that you enjoy this colorful and beautiful shoot and it inspires you to bring a little love and peace into your own life. I look forward to bringing you more inspirational shoots in the future. Have a lovely weekend. Peace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment