Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Inspiration Board: Victory Garden Birthday

Victory Garden Birthday
Circa: 1940's



      Well this is reaching you a few days later than planned but it was worth the share this week! While working on our D.I.Y. Victory Garden for kids it struck me that this would be a wonderful activity/party favor for a Birthday Party! At the museum we have several fun themed birthday parties for children and the 1940's is one of the periods in history that we celebrate. Therefore, I decided to create my first Inspiration Board around that theme. I know there is a concern for younger children when it comes to war therefore this party focuses on life on the home front and the role that children played to help with the war effort! 

     For more information on Victory Garden's please look at my D.I.Y Victory Garden in a previous post! I have included some additional ideas for your own 1940's party below. Please enjoy! 

Music: You can't go wrong with big band classics from the period such as In the Mood,  I'll Be Seeing You, Chattanooga Choo Choo, and my personal favorite Sing, Sing, Sing! I feel that music is so important and really sets the mood for a great party! 

Refreshments: During the war, there were shortages of various types of food that affected families on a daily basis. Due to these shortages the U.S. Government Office of Price Administration established a system of rationing to fairly distribute foods in short supply. While this doesn't mean that you have to serve Eggless Cake at your party, it could be fun to try to shape your menu to what families would have served during the time period. After looking over some old recipes here are a few suggestions: Fresh Vegetables and dip, fruit, hamburgers, Victory Fries (French Fries), Salad, Cookies and of course Birthday Cake!  I know that today parties aren't complete without a candy bar or goody bag so I thought I would include a few of the new American candies introduced during the 1940's:

  • M&M's (1941) 
  • Tootsie Rolls (1942)
  • Junior Mints (1945) 
  • Almond Joy (1947) 
  • Smarties (1949) 

Additional Activities:  The 1940's offers so many wonderful activities for children that it was hard to choose just a few but here are some of my favorites. One of my favorite crafts, that I will probably share in the future, is to make Victory Parachutes from a few pieces of scrap fabric and string. You can even turn it into a game by having guests, with adult supervision of course, go to the top of the stairs and drop their parachutes and aim for targets placed below. Another favorite activity is to split the children up into two teams and give each team a copy of Morse Code and a Flashlight. Have each team go to opposite sides of a dark room or hallway and use their flashlights to send messages back and forth to each other. Favorite games from the time included marbles, dominoes, hide and go seek, hopscotch and of course America's favorite pastime Baseball! There are so many options available that the possibilities are endless! 


     I hope that this Inspiration Board inspires you to host your own 1940's Victory Garden Birthday Party! Have a great week! 



Sources 

Left Row (Top to Bottom) 
1. Martha Stewart.com 
2. Pottery Barn 
3. Modern Farmer
4. Style Me Pretty http://www.stylemepretty.com/2010/08/02/summer-garden-party-inspiration/

Middle Row (Top to Bottom) 
1. Etsy-Vintage Vendor 
2. Etsy 
3. Rent My Dust 
4. Celebrating the Moments by Marcie
5. Etsy-Idoityourself

Right Row (Top to Bottom) 
1. Celebrating the Moments by Marcie 
2. Etsy-Kolorize
3. Linda L. Floyd 

No comments:

Post a Comment