Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

D.I.Y.: Little Graveyard

 Little Graveyard
Circa: 2014


Today I wanted to share one of my favorite D.I.Y. projects from last Halloween. It is a fun and easy craft that would be perfect for kids! Last year I was trying to find the perfect decoration for my entryway table and nothing seemed to work. Coincidentally at the museum I had been giving several tours of our local cemetery and discussing Victorian funeral customs and that's when inspiration hit! I could create my own little cemetery!  After going through my home to find the perfect container I came across this little greenhouse I had purchased several years ago that was hidden away in a closet because I was never sure what to do with it.  One Saturday I pulled out my greenhouse, grabbed a few supplies and before I knew it I had my own little graveyard to greet guests on Halloween. It's such a fun and easy craft and I am so thrilled to share it with you!


Before we begin our macabre little project I thought that I would share a little history on Victorian funeral and mourning customs just in time for Al Hallows Eve.

During the Victorian Period the mortality rate was on the rise due to common causes such as influenza, tuberculosis, cancer, cholera and more. Americans became intimately acquainted death and embraced mourning as a subculture. It impacted how people dressed, behaved in society and even decorated their homes. Funerals were typically held in the parlor of the family's home and mourning rituals were observed to show respect for the dead and for the living.

The curtains would be drawn and clock would be stopped. Fireplace mantles, windows and paintings would be draped in black crepe and wreaths of laurel or boxwood tied with black ribbons were hung on windows and doors. Mirrors throughout the home were also covered with black veiling to prevent the deceased's spirit from getting trapped in the looking glass.  Flowers, herbs, and candles were used to mask unpleasant odors at a time before embalming became common. 

Victorian fashion was even dictated by death. Family members wore special black garments, or mourning clothes, to communicate their loss to the community. Women wore all black clothing and jewelry along with black gloves, bonnets and a veil that covered their face when out in public. Men wore their best dark suit and often a weeper made of black crepe wrapped around their hatband or on their arms. Women could remain in deep morning for several months to a year. Queen Victorian remained in mourning for her husband Prince Albert for the rest of her life!

 Finally, following the funeral the dead were carried out feet first in order to prevent the spirit from looking back into the home and beckoning another member to follow. They may have been gone but they were certainly not forgotten...literally. During this time artifacts emerged that allowed people to remember their loved ones and included posthumous portraits and mourning jewelry and art that included clippings of the deceased's hair! While we won't be adding that to our D.I.Y. crafts anytime soon I do hope you enjoy creating your own cemetery below!



You will need the following:
  • Container for your little cemetery
  • Floral Styrofoam Block 
  • Serrated Knife
  • Paint (Grey & Black)
  • Paint Brush
  • Moss
  • Spooky Decorations

Directions

1. Cut out your tombstones from the floral Styrofoam block. You can vary the shapes, sizes and styles; get creative but be careful. If you are working with small children I suggest having them draw the tombstone on the Styrofoam block and have a parent cut it out for them.

2. The next step is to paint your tombstones. I started off with a grey base and added touches of black for age.  Let dry completely.


3. Add your moss to our container. I decided to make my cemetery grounds a little uneven with some small hills to add some height.



 4. Next add your tombstones to the cemetery and your decorations. I found these wonderful little crows at a craft store and they worked perfect for this project.



 5. Find the perfect spot for your own little cemetery and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment