Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Halloween Inspiration: Season of the Witch

  
Season of the Witch 
Circa: 2014  
        Halloween is by far my favorite time of the year. I wait anxiously all summer for fall to arrive to Texas. Cooler temperatures, football season, and pumpkin spice everything are just a few of my favorite things about this time of year. However, nothing compares to my love for All Hallows Eve! My love, or some would say obsession, for this wonderful and spooky holiday began when I was a very young child. I can remember some of my favorite movies werGhostbustersBeetlejuice and later of course Hocus Pocus!  Everyone has always joked that I have a happy, bright and sweet side but there is also a darker and spookier Jessica lurking just beneath. I can't remember a time when I wasn't fascinated with ghosts, witches and things that go bump in the night. I still have a notebook from elementary school filled with scary stories and plays I had written with my favorite being a haunted painting in an old castle that would come to life at night. Where this love for all things mysterious and frightening came from I can't say but it has only increased as I have grown older. Thankfully, I have friends and family that share my love of creepy things or at least love me just the same! So on that note expect quite a few posts for the month of October! 
        
        I thought I would begin with my theme for this year's tablescape! Yes I have a theme each year for my dining room. Doesn't everyone? Last year I chose "Till Death Do Us Part" and had a wonderful skeleton couple sharing a romantic dinner for two. This year I wanted to go in a different direction and  I didn't have to look far for inspiration. One of my favorite movies is Practical Magic. I fell in love the first time I saw it and it has always reminded me so much of my relationship with one of my longest and dearest friends from my hometown. Plus add in Stevie Nicks, magic, romance and you have me. I watch it often and the soundtrack is always on my Ipod! 

       This year I also discovered one of my new favorite shows...American Horror Story. I know I am late to the game but thanks to Netflix I was able to catch up. As soon as I started watching season three Coven, I was hooked. The house, the wardrobe, Jessica Lange and a character obsessed with Stevie Nicks. How could I not fall in love? Interestingly enough I was actually named after Jessica Lange. Coincidence? I think not! I was mesmerized, terrorized and loved every minute of it. 

        One day while shopping with my mom I came across a pedestal with a white marble top and it reminded me of the conservatory in Practical Magic and the lab area in AHS Coven and my theme "Season of the Witch" was born. I wanted to pull elements from both by combining the romantic, botanical side of Practical Magic with the darker and chilling side of AHS. Expect to see a lot of herbs, spells, candles, skulls and more! I hope that this inspires you find things that you love to create your own unique holiday decorations. I have a few more finishing touches and I will reveal the finished table on the blog very soon!  Have a wonderful and spooky Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment